Opportunity at a Glance
Walden University is a pioneer in student-centered distance education. An accredited institution with a mission for social change, Walden is dedicated to high academic standards and helping students make a difference in their professions, organizations, and communities.
Walden University offers degrees online to professionals whose work impacts others. Our programs are designed to help students make a difference in the lives of children, the health of communities, or the success of an organization.
Contributing faculty members serve in a part-time capacity. They use online technology and resources to share knowledge, information, and feedback with students through thoughtful, carefully formulated, well written, and timely communications. This is accomplished in an environment that is respectful of students, faculty members, and the Walden community. Faculty members are expected to adhere to all Walden University faculty expectations.
- All new Faculty Members receive specific training from Walden University in teaching in a digital environment, learning management systems, and the policies, procedures, and programs for the School of Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Studies.
- Faculty members teach one or more courses, in a learning management system such as Blackboard.
- They interact with students within this platform. Discussion boards for classrooms are open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- Postings to the classroom may be done at any time of day, they must be completed in a timely manner in accordance with the faculty handbook or other criteria established by Walden University.
- Per the faculty handbook, responses to student questions must be posted within 48 hours.
- Faculty members provide feedback and grades to students through Blackboard.
- Walden expects faculty to be reasonably accessible to students.
- Faculty members are expected to be available to students outside the course discussion board and in addition to providing substantive feedback on assignments and postings.
- Faculty members will publish their availability to students through course syllabi, instructor information in the classroom, and/or other appropriate documents.
- The university suggests regular and predictable availability, such as online office hours or regular online chats.
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Appropriate reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Faculty members are required to have an adequate computer to handle an electronic learning platform, keyboard, pointing device, and computer monitor.
- All other tools are knowledge-based or training-based through Walden University.
- The Faculty Member must be able to use Microsoft Office products (MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint), zip software, and Adobe Acrobat and must have reliable Internet access as well as alternate access in cases where primary access becomes unavailable.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.